eating
I think this is an Eastern Pondhawk female devouring a Ruby Meadowhawk- at least all the other Meadowhawks around were Ruby Meadowhawks. I never seem the see males with prey- are they less voracious or just less conspicuous? thanks- i just discovered your wonderful site.
Pam Burtt

Wow Pam,
What a great photo. We have always been under the impression that females of the species were better hunters.

One Response to Dragonfly Cannibalism

1. RenaudB says:

Good morning,

I heard that females are more agressive in hunting because of the extra energy needed to produce eggs.

However, in the trip to Pennsylvania I made last August I witnessed a male Eastern Pondhawk landing on a branch with a tandem (!) of Powdered Dancers, the jaws firmly planted onto the female Dancer’s thorax; the male managed to escape after a moment but the female made the Pondhawk’s dinner.
    I have a picture of it eating the female dancer but I don’t know how to post pictures here.

Renaud, Switzerland