Coolest flying insect in Minnesota-please help identify
I live in Chaska Minnesota which is 20 minutes southwest of Minneapolis. I found this cool looking bug by my doorstep this evening and wondered if you could help me identify it. The bug body is about 1.5 centimeters long and is an iridescent grey/silver color. the body is three segments, head, a spherical middle and a long end section. He has a pair of clear winds that are about 0.75 centimeters long. The coolest part about the bug is that he has really long legs. The legs are mostly black but at the joints are white stripes. As well the second section from the white foot is thicker than the rest of the leg. It can fly. I’ve added a couple pictures I took with my dad. Hope you can tell me what it is Thanks in advance
Corey Giroux

Hi Corey,
The Phantom Crane Fly, Bittacomorpha clavipes, is an awesome creature. It is found near moist woods and stream margins. They soar slowly through the air catching air currents on the swollen leg joints. They get their common name because when they fly into the shade, they seem to disappear except for the white leg bands.