What is this
I saw these things all over at my work. People say that they are hummingbirds but they look like a moth. We only see them during the day and seem to go away at night. I thought moths like the night more than the day. I live and work in Douglas County, Nevada and no one has ever seen these before. What are they and how come there are so many this year? I think they are the most interesting creature or bug or whatever they are.
Thank you,
Sandy

Hi Sandy,
Because of the record breaking desert rains, the plant growth was lush. There was a population explosion of White Lined Sphinx or Striped Morning Sphinx, Hyles lineata, caterpillars and now we are seeing the day flying moths. They are sometimes called Hawkmoths or Hummingbird Moths.

One Response to White Lined or Striped Morning Sphinx

1. Shallah_7 says:

I remember those moths back when I was visiting my grandmother in Wilson, NC. They look & fly like hummingbirds but I could tell they were moths. They looked scary to my young mind but very interesting.