moth identification
Like others, I came across your site trying to identify a moth that I had never seen before. I arrived home to find it clinging to our screen door where it remained throughout the afternoon. We live in Sherwood , Wisconsin which is about 30 minutes southwest of Green Bay . I am a novice, so perhaps this moth is relatively common, but it was the first time I had never seen a moth so large or exotic! Your site has wonderful photos and kind and helpful responses. Would you be able to help me identify this moth?
Many thanks,
Beccy

Hi Beccy,
Thanks for the most excellent photo of a Cecropia Moth, Hyalophora cecropia. It is often considered the largest North American moth, but some writers give that distinction to another Giant Silkworm Moth, the Polyphemus Moth.

3 Responses to Cecropia Moth

1. Kimberly says:

I too had one of these big months by my front door I posted it on face book for my friends they were all amazed like me.

2. olivia says:

just found one! bigger than my hand. it’s wings were all torn up sadly but still flew away.

3. Sue says:

We found one in our pine tree. It was at least six inches across. Beautiful!