red legged purseweb
Great site!!! Thanks for helping me to identify this scary looking spider. Since your ’03 description says this spider is very rare, I figured I’d let you know that they seem to like my yard… We live in Atlanta, GA – in Buckhead to be precise, very close to high rise buildings in an old residential neighborhood. I saw one of these spiders last year, but my baby-sitter squashed it beyond recognition, so I couldn’t really tell what it was. I saw another 2 days ago crawling VERY fast near my trash bins. And, today, one was right up next to the house, crawling right towards me and the girls. Sorry, I squished it. But, with the killed picture and memory, it was definitely the ‘red legged purseweb’. I’ll keep an eye out for the webs. Is it still endangered?? I’ll try not to stomp so quickly in the future.
Margaret

Hi Margaret,
We have gotten numerous letters in the past week with Red Legged Purseweb Spider sitings. Guess they are making a comeback.