tentacled moth?
I know a bit about bugs, certainly enough, to know this bug certainly defies classification in any normal group. Sadly it was already dead when I found it, and I actually caught it thinking it was simply a plant wisp caught in the breeze. Upon further inspection I found a very little insect body attatched to all the wispys. I’m of the mind that it is some kind of moth with incredibly strange wings (which are quite sticky, its a very hard bug to put down). Please let me know if you have any idea what this creature is, I haven’t had any luck. The pictures aren’t the best, but on the close up you can see it has legs and a head. I figure with the strange wing wisps it shouldn’t be hard to either identify or recognize as a new critter.
Thanks, Duncan
West Chester, PA

Hi Duncan,
Eric Eaton helped us to correct this one. He writes: This is a “woolly aphid of some kind. There aren’t that many species, but you have to link them to the host tree to conclude what they are.”

Update:
(01/11/2007) bug images on WTB
I enjoyed visiting your site. It really doesn’t compete with BugGuide.net, since you have posted lots of foreign insects that they bar from that site. For example, you have some really nice photos of the primitive treehopper Aetalion (which is tropical). I thought you might like to know about the following:
(4) The “woolly aphid” is actually an insect infested by a fungus, that has sent out long fungal filaments.
Thanks for helping to spread an interest in Homoptera. We need to encourage the amateur.
Andy Hamilton