WHAT IS THIS INSECT?
HELLO—I’M TRYING TO HELP A FRIEND IDENTIFY THIS INSECT. SHE THINKS THEY BURROW IN THE GROUND AND SHE HAS QUITE A LOT OF THEM IN THE DALLAS, TEXAS AREA.
THANK YOU, ANNETTE

Hi Annette,
Your friend has a colony of Cicada Killers, Sphecius speciosus. They do dig in the ground. The female stings and paralyzed a cicada and then lays an egg on it for her young to devour. The nest is underground.

2 Responses to Cicada Killer

1. heather says:

I have an over abundance of Cicada Killers in my yard and they are definitely attracted to the lights on my porch at night. I have killed a total of 5 just because they hover around my coach lights in the evening.
    And i promise they are cicada killers. I can always send in a picture if you would like.

2. I am invaded by this ferocious looking insect. If their are supposed to be solitary, then they didn’t get the message, they decided to establish a colony under my house.
    they scare me to no end, especially reading about how much their sting hurts. What kind of nest do they build, a hanging one, one in the ground? Do I need to call Orkin to get rid of them? My little dog is terrified of them.