Eyed Hawk Moth/Blinded Moth?
Hi there.
Found your wonderfully informative site while snooping for answers as to what this creature was. Now I have book-marked it, I love your site! This moth came into our home for a visit. There were a few photos on the internet that seemed to indicate that this was an "Eyed Hawk Moth", the similarities were close……………….until I saw your site. The Eyed Hawk Moth that is on your list, does not seem to match what we have, but I noticed another photo of the "Blinded Moth". It seemed to match fairly close. I did note that you referred to it as a Hawk Moth, as well. What do you think? We live about 100 miles north-east of Vancouver, B.C. Two years ago there was a humming-bird-type of creature in our honeysuckle bush, in the evening. Was too dark to see, but I’m fairly certain that this must be the same moth species as then. Anyway, if you have the time to answer, that’s great, but if not, I certainly understand.
Thanks for this site!
Eve

Hi Eve,
We think you did a great job of internet research and wholly agree with your assessment that this is a Blinded Sphinx, Paonias excaecatus. Your letter has caused us to do additional research and now we know we have been using an obsolete scientific name for this species. Here is a great site with more information on your moth.