Assassin bug?
Hi, I live in Gaithersburg, Maryland and I’ve been seeing these bugs on my deck over the last month or so. I’m curious to find out about the because I keep finding them on my children. I want to know if they bite and what kind of bite they will get (swelling like a mosquito bite?). I saw a picture on this site that was similar. It was identified as a Wheel Bug Nymph, but all the pictures that I see elsewhere on the internet of the wheel bug, look very different. Could these be VERY immature wheel bugs? Whatever info you could give would be much appreciated.
Kelly

Hi Kelly,
This is most assuredly an immature Assassin Bug, most probably a Wheel Bug. The wingless nymphs have a distinctive red abdomen, and it is not until they mature into winged adults that the characteristic cog-like wheel attains its magnificence. The scientific name for the Wheel Bug is Arilus cristatus. All we know about the bite is that it is reputed to be painful, but not dangerous.

3 Responses to Wheel Bug Nymph

1. go here says:

Hello! I’ve been following your blog for a long time now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Kingwood Tx! Just wanted to tell you keep up the fantastic job!

2. Major Moss says:

Thanks for info–I also just noticed these little rascals on flower planters recently. Traveling in a small ‘pack’ of about 35 in number, they seemed to be trying to find a way down to the ground, grass, etc. Fun to watch and now learn about. Thanks!

Are you sure you are not mixing them up with immature Coreid or Leaf Footed Bugs which look similar. Generally, plant feeding species stay together and predators are solo hunters.