Dear Bugman
I found this guy in front of my house I think it’s a Prionus according to other pix I saw on your site. (Great site by the way!!!) But I live on Long island in N.Y. The beetles on your site were west coast denizens.Is this an east coast cousin? Sorry for the poor picture Quality but he/she is black (the western ones on your site looked browner?! I had left my outside light on overnite and I think he crashed ( he was a very cooperative subject) Thanks for your help and again, Great website !!!
Gene & Connor Dolan

Hi Gene and Connor,
Your beetle is in fact a Prionus species, one of the Giant Root Borers. As a group, they range throughout most of the U.S. as well as Canada. Larvae eat live, dying and decomposing trees, shrubs and woody vines. Adults usually emerge in July and August. They are primarily nocturnal and are attracted to lights.

3 Responses to Giant Root Borer

1. Dawn says:

So, what is the best way to control these root borers? Found 3 last year and tonight I must have collected 20 of them, coming out of the ground! Was like a creep show, for sure!