Sphinx moth??
We found a large chrysalis (3" long) in the wood mulch in my back yard in Fort Collins, CO two weeks ago. We brought it indoors where it laid for two weeks in my five-year-old daughter’s butterfly habitat. Yesterday, this moth emerged (just when we’d about given up hope that it was actually alive) and tonight we released it where it was found. We’re certain that it is some sort of sphinx moth, but we’re not sure what kind. We’re hopeful that you will tell us it is not going to lay eggs on our nearby tomato plants! The moth’s wingspan is 2.5-3 inches, and when it flies, you can see pink beneath the wings. Thanks for your great website and for your help in identifying our lovely friend!
Sheryl Highsmith (and daughter Sydney)

Hi Sydney and Sheryl,
Your tomato plants are safe, but the grape vines might be in danger. You hatched an Achemon Sphinx, Eumorpha achemon. Here is a link to a page with additinal information.

One Response to Achemon sphinx

1. Kayla says:

I live in Regina Saskatchewan and my nephew and I found one of these while weeding my Grandfathers flower bed. My Grandpa absolute loved it he had never seen such a moth so I wanted to find out a little more about it.