What’s this bug?
I photographed this insect one night in late May. As for the scale, notice in the first pic, top left corner is a nail head approximately 1/4 inch in diamater. I left the porch light on to attract insects to photograph and this appeared. The photo was taken in Yadkin County, North Carolina. What is it? I really like your site. It’s comforting to know I’m not the only person who likes to photograph bugs. > Tony Hegwood

Hi Tony,
We wanted to verify our conclusion with Eric Eaton. Here is his response: “This is actually a male glowworm, in the genus Phengodes. No wonder he was attracted to light:-) Female phengodids are larviform, meaning they retain all the characteristics of the larval state, but have a fully-developed reproductive system, and compound eyes! They glow between the abdominal membranes. Larval and female phengodids feed exclusively on millipedes. The males are not luminescent. Neat find. A good year for them it would appear, as I’ve seen other images from this season.”

Location: North Carolina