Hi Bugman
I hope you are the person who can tell me what kind of bug that I photographed. This striped bug reminded me of a ladybug when it flew but it has stripes instead of dots. I was walking through a marsh area in southeastern Michigan. Any help you can give me would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Cris Music
Michigan-USA

Hi Chris,
We wrote to Eric Eaton for more information on your Leaf Beetle from the Family Chrysomelidae. Here is what he wrote: “This is indeed a leaf beetle, probably in the genus Disonycha, one of the larger flea beetles. Can’t give a species without running the specimen through a key, but that should get you in the ballpark to find more info.”

One Response to Disonycha Leaf Beetle

1. Sarah from TN says:

One of these came in the house riding on the dog. My son thought it was a lady bug as well, due to it’s shape, similar size and the way it flew. When he put it in my hand, it made a clicking sound and jumped like a flea. I won’t lie. It scared me, because it jumped on me and I didn’t know what it was. I am glad that I found it on here, but sad I didn’t get a picture of it to post.