Hawk -eyed Moth
Hi there,
My roomate captured this big moth that was hanging in our doorway and she put it on the picnic table to get these pictures. It is about 4 inches wide with the wings spread out and we think it’s a Hawk-eyed Moth. I have been searching on the Internet to find out where they are common, with not much luck. The little bits of info. I found is that these are common in Europe and parts of Asia! We are from Cloverdale, British Columbia, Canada (about 40 kilometres outside of Vancouver B.C.). We’ve never seen one of these before and wonder where it came from…. I think your website is only for people in the States, but I hope you can help us get a little more info. on this beautiful creature.
Thank-you kindly
Allison
Cloverdale, B.C.

Hi Allison,
Even though there is a border between our countries, insects tend to ignore it and we share many of the same species, including Cerisy’s Sphinx, Smerinthus cerisyi. It ranges from coast to coast in the northern US and Canada as well as south into the Rocky Mountains and Sierra Mountains. The caterpillar eats willow foilage and adults fly in May and June, so your specimen is right on time. Thanks for the beautiful photo.