There is a baseball size cocoon hanging from a maple tree in my yard. It’s white with prickly looking brown things sticking out from it. I really did think it was a baseball for the longest time as I looked at it from my kitchen window. But upon further inspection it’s a cocoon. I’ll take a photo of it and send it along if you’d like me to. After searching the web I can’t figure out what type of cocoon it is. Can you help?
Thanks so much
Julie Worthy

Hi Julie,
You have a Wool Sower Gall which is produced by a tiny wasp, Callirhytis seminator. Galls are growths on various parts of plants, usually caused by a Gall Wasp or a type of mite. There are many species of Gall Wasps, and each has a specific host plant. The Wool Sower Gall used the oak tree, not a maple as a host. Your photo is of an oak tree. Here is a site with additional information.

thanks so much. you can see how much i know about trees from getting the type of tree incorrect. i’m just glad to know millions upon millions of spiders or something like that will not emerge come summer. thanks for your help. i love being able to get information from others on the web who are experts like yourself.
sincerely,
Julie Worthy