ew gross! help!
Hi-
Please help: we have wormy, larva-y, crawly things in our apartment. They are on our bed covers, under them, on our drapes, and on our keyboards. I finally saw some crawling on the ceiling. I spotted on near a hole in the ceiling. We live in Brooklyn, NY, in the top floor apartment with drop-down ceiling right under the attic. There are lots of cracks and holes for them to crawl out of the ceiling. They are yellow-ish in color with dark heads and ends. At the back end, there are 2-3 long attenae. They have many many tiny legs (centipede-ish). They are very small– the larger ones are only a few millimeters long, the small ones are super tiny. I spotted a small black beetle-type bug a few days ago, which I’ve never seen before in this apt. But, only one, so I don’t know if the two are related… We’ve lived here for over a year and a half and have never had bug problems before. Are these bugs beetle larvae? Can you identify them from the below pics? Any tips on getting rid of them? Please help!
Thanks so much,
Angela in Brooklyn

Hi Angela,
You have Dermestid Carpet Beetles, probably genus Attagenus. Adults are shiny solid black or brown beetles. Larvae are slender with long hairs at the end of the abdomen. You first need to find the source of the infestation and then seek profesional help.

One Response to Attagenus Carpet Beetles

1. Maddy says:

I found three dark brown/black centipede shaped bugs hiding under my wooden dresser. They are so tiny I can hardly see them. I thought that maybe they were carpet beetles but I couldn’t find the fine hair sticking out from the back or front. They are also darker than the carpet beetle shown in the picture. It is in my room and I’m really worried there might be an infestation. There is another wood dresser beside the other one and I haven’t moved it in ages. There is so much dust behind it. Could the bugs be coming from there?