What this bug?
Hello there,
I was wondering if you could help me identify this annoyance in our household. I’ve had absolutely no luck with other sites. I’ve attached a picture for you take a look. Most of these bugs were sited by old heaters in our basement apartment. Any help would be appreciated!
Rob

Hi Rob,
You have Firebrats, Thermodia domestica, a type of Silverfish. It is a domestic species recognized by the mottled pattern. It frequents warm and even hot places, often in boiler rooms and near heaters. This habit leads to its common name.

One Response to Firebrat

1. AlexW, extreme entomophile says:

I know you may not see this while on holiday, but here it is:

This silverfish is Thermobia domestica, the firebrat. Bugguide’s identification section says:

“oblong/elongate yellowish body with dark brown bands and mottled spots on the dorsal surface; stout-bodied (abdomen relatively broad-tipped and often shorter than thorax, giving an overall “chunky” appearance)”