house bugs needed to be identified–couldn’t find it in your website and others
Dear Sir/Madam,
We have seen these bugs in our home for two years. We live in an one family house. They seem to come down from the attic above. First we spotted them in the light-cover on our ceiling. We cover our ceiling lights with milky-colored plastic cover. The bodies of these bugs are collected at the bottom of the cover, and some of them were still alive. It seems that they were trying to reach the light, and die there, then fall onto the cover base. Sometimes we see them in our bathtub, trying to get some drink. They are very small, about 1/8 to 1/6 of an inch in width, not including legs and antenna. These images were caught while one of them is crawling on the ceiling. We don’t know what these bugs are feeding on. Could you please help us to identify these bugs?
Thank you very much!
Sincerely,
Hsiling

Hi Hsiling,
You have Spider Beetles from the genus Mezium. They can be found worldwide where grain is stored. They also feed upon dried remains of animals, woolens and other non-synthetic textiles. You will find more images and information on our Pantry Beetle page.

Expert Update: (05/22/2008) spider beetle errors
I believe I had written earlier when looking at many of the spider beetle pictures. Almost all of the shiny brown, globular body, images are of Gibbium aequinoctiale and not Mezium species. There is a combined 2 image photo (finger and beetle & 2 beetles) of Mezium : the answer was posted by Eric Eaton, I believe. Gibbium species do not have a velvety covering on the thorax, Mezium species do. You should correct your website postings so people will have a better idea of what they have been finding. Best regards,
Lou
Louis N. Sorkin, B.C.E.
Entomology Section
Division of Invertebrate Zoology
American Museum of Natural History
New York

Dear Lou,
Thanks so much for resending this vital correction to our website. We really appreciate your expertise on this. We sincerely hope that addressing you with such familiarity doesn’t detract from your professional status.