What is this guy?
A colony of these spiders has set up shop in a crawlspace under a cottage on the Bruce Peninsula in Ontario, and seem to be wintering over. It is a damp and cold area (just above freezing). There are perhaps 6 of them, most having egg sacks near them. I haven’t seen anything like them before!
Andrew

Hi Andrew,
Your gal is a female Domestic Spider, also commonly called a House Spider, Achaearanea tepidariorum. These small harmless Comb-Footed Spiders are common around the home, hence their common name. Your photo nicely illustrates the large and bulbous abdomen with its cream coloration and dark blotches. They spin irregular webs.

2 Responses to Female Domestic Spider

1. Meagan Evans says:

Is the house spidee harmful? Do they bite? I just found one behind my bed, with a few egg sacs on my bed post. I am really freakes out, checked behind all my daughter’s furniture too.

Like many spiders, it is possible that the Domestic Spider might bite, but it is not considered to be a dangerous species.