Hello.
I want to compliment you on a great site. Attached i sent you a pic, a little blurry sadly, of one big bug that i found near Cancun, Quintana Roo, Mexico. The insect was big around 10cm or between three and four inches. It could fly and the people there (the Ak tunche cave) told me it was a wasp, but I have not been able to find any information on the web. I would really appreciate your help and thanks in advance.
Pablo Kaufer
Argentina

Hi Pablo,
Your wasp is a Tarantula Hawk. The female wasp picks a fight with a tarantula, and if she wins, she stings it, paralyzes it, lays an egg on it and buries it. When the egg hatches, the young larval wasp has a nice supply of fresh meat because it eats the paralyzed tarantual alive. She will sting you painfully if you don’t respect her.

One Response to Tarantula Hawk

1. Linda says:

Hello I live in midland texas and my husband killed this bee hornet like in front of the house it is ugly n black w brownish orange wings it is ugly looks like it was looking to sting some body iv never seen nothing like this before it is the size of a quarter please help w any answers thank you..so much.i try to send a picture but I dont know how .