Identify this Fly?
Hi! Found your website while trying to ID this tiny fly that is in the attached photos; we live in Miami, Florida, closer to the Everglades than the ocean, and have noticed an increase in the number of these guys (gals?) in our home. They are completely black, very little shiny to them; they are rather slow flying when compared to common house flies, and are typically found on the bathroom walls, which we guess is because they like humidity. Any ideas, and, should we be concerned? Thank you for such an interesting website.
–Louis
PS: Macro fotography of insects is harder than I thought!!!

Hi Louis,
Your macro-photos of the Bathroom Fly, Clogmia albipunctata, one of the Family of Moth Flies, Psychodidae, are quite good. As you indicated, they like damp areas, and are often found in bathrooms indoors and near stagnant water and cesspools. The larva live in the much found in drains and dead-flow areas of household plumbing.

2 Responses to Bathroom Fly

1. Caroline says:

Thank you so much for this post! When I lived in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil I used to see those all the time in the bathroom. I thought it was some kind of harmless tiny mosquito. Now I know what it is called 🙂 So what do they eat anyways?