Identify this Fly?
Hi! Found your website while trying to ID this tiny fly that is in the attached photos; we live in Miami, Florida, closer to the Everglades than the ocean, and have noticed an increase in the number of these guys (gals?) in our home. They are completely black, very little shiny to them; they are rather slow flying when compared to common house flies, and are typically found on the bathroom walls, which we guess is because they like humidity. Any ideas, and, should we be concerned? Thank you for such an interesting website.
–Louis
PS: Macro fotography of insects is harder than I thought!!!

Hi Louis,
Your macro-photos of the Bathroom Fly, Clogmia albipunctata, one of the Family of Moth Flies, Psychodidae, are quite good. As you indicated, they like damp areas, and are often found in bathrooms indoors and near stagnant water and cesspools. The larva live in the much found in drains and dead-flow areas of household plumbing.

18 Responses to Bathroom Fly

1. ihatebugs says:

I have these gross bathroom flies, but never had them until my husband put in a new shower.
    please help I am at my wits end

2. Caroline says:

Thank you so much for this post! When I lived in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil I used to see those all the time in the bathroom. I thought it was some kind of harmless tiny mosquito. Now I know what it is called 🙂 So what do they eat anyways?

3. Norma Austin says:

We have had these little bugs for 2 years, and we think we just got rid of them. It took 2 days. I poured Pectracide Bug Stop (indoor plus outdoor)
    down all our drains (bathroom sinks and bathtub, shower and sink in 2nd bathroom, kitchen sinks). one cup for each drain. We quit seeing them yesterday, except for a few who we think have died now of old age. They definitely are breeding in the drains. Whenever we had to take a shower or bath, we replaced the spectracide when the water drained. The stuff costs about $7 at WM. I only used 1 jug which was 1.33 gal., but I bought another for maintenance.

4. Steven Cimino says:

When I was twenty years of age, I rented a house that had these flies. They would come up from the crawlspace through the ventilation ducts in the floor, probably attracted by the lighted area in the entry hall of the house. We would come home in the evening and six or eight flies would be on the walls waiting for us. When you went to hit them, black smudge on wall.
    When I inspected the crawlspace area, I found that there were numerous puddles of water always present on top of the plastic sheet that layed on top of the clay floor of the crawlspace.
    WHEN I SHINED MY FLASHLIGHT INTO THE PUDDLE, I WAS HORRIFIED TO SEE LARGE AMOUNTS OF TINY WORMS SWIMMING AROUND IN THAT PUDDLED WATER.
    I knew then what the source of the flies were.
    I complained to the landlord. He did nothing and I lived with the problem for a year and then moved. Later I learned from the landlords wife that upon the new tenants moving in, an inspection of the crawlspace indicated the sewer pipe joint had failed…. raw sewage from the toilets in the house was seeping into the crawlspace. This is what created the environment for those bugs to grow. It was a very simple fix and I was sorry to hear later that I was right and had to live with that unsanitary condition because of a landlords ignorance of not taking me seriously.
    Anyone who thinks these flies are “cute”, do not understand that another way of saying “organic material” is ….sh*t. I call these “sh*t” flies and they are definitely not something anyone should live with.
    Now forty years later they have shown up in my house. From reading this, I am going to use baking soda and vinegar in my drains, especially the two floor drains in my basement. I poured bleach down the drains yesterday but the baking soda / vinegar will help break up and clear the “organic”material within the pipes and then I will flush with hot water.

5. Vic says:

I’m a full time RV’er and get these annoying creatures whenever I have the hose attached to a sewer. I’m able to use septic tank safe RV chemicals or I use bleach and the attachment on my garden hose to flush my tanks.
    But in a residential situation I would think an otc drain cleaner should suffice, or try vinegar lemon juice, and baking soda – but you’ll have to make it thick like pancake batter so it just creeps down the pipes and doesn’t get too thinned out in the p-trap.
    Good luck!

6. Jeremy says:

Wikipedia says they are harmless.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clogmia_albipunctata

But they are rather annoying when they buzz near your ear and leave a black powdery smudge on the wall when you squish them.

7. Jeremy says:

Wikipedia says they are harmless.
    (“Clogmia albipunctata” article).