Now, for something a little different…!
Hi there, once again! Usually I’m sending you various odd bugs for ID but this time it’s a moth. I found this beautiful moth on my porch yesterday. Check out the green heart shapes on his wings — just in time for Valentine’s Day! I cannot find anything remotely like it anywhere in my internet searches. He’s rather on the large side, with much fuzz around his head and purple-ish shades under the green hearts of his wings. I nearly abandoned hope of finding an ID when I realized you have a "moths" page! I would be so honored to have a name for my lovely visitor! Thanks for all the hard work you do on your fantastic site!
Michelle Mahood
Shingletown, California

Hi Michelle,
We always love getting photos from you. Your beautiful moth is the Pacific Green Sphinx or Bear Sphinx, Arctonotus lucidus. It ranges along the Pacific coast, from southern California to British Colombia. It flies in the very early in the year, appearing from January to March. The caterpillar feeds on Evening Primrose. Here is a link to a site silkmoths.bizland that has more images including the complete metamorphosis.

Thank you SO much!!! No wonder I couldn’t find it; a Google image search turns up only three images of the Pacific Green Sphinx! I feel I’ve been treated to a rare and lovely sight and feel quite lucky to have run across him. If you’re ever looking for pictures of macroinvertebrates of the type trout enjoy, I have an album of such creatures at http://www.pbase.com/michellemahood/galleries — when not photographing crawling and flying creatures I am a flyfishing fanatic! Thanks again for your prompt and right-on ID…
Sincerely,
Michelle Mahood