What’s this worm?!!
I found several of these 3/4-inch worms (or, yeesh, maggots?) under the geranium pots on our patio. I’ve attached photos, and the head (?) is on the darker end. The thing is translucent and I can see its innards through its skin. It moves like an earthworm, by rippling its muscles up from the back toward the head. I’m just getting into gardening and I want to make sure these things aren’t harmful to my new plants (let alone that they aren’t going to morph into something even scarier!!) Thanks so much, I love your site – even though it gave me nightmares last night! Sincerely,
Emma in Northern California

Hi Emma,
Your photo looks like a Cutworm, the caterpillar of a type of moth. There are many species. Most are general feeders. They get their common name of Cutworm from the fact that the caterpillars often eat through the stems of young plants, severing them and killing them. Just squash them.