Two More Puzzling Specimens
Dear Mr. Marlos?
Thank you very much for identifying my previous mystery insect: the Trichiotinous bee-scarab. It was one of several insects which I have yet to ID. If you and your colleagues would be so kind as to have a crack at naming another two specimens of mine, I would be most pleased. The first, found near my home on Vancouver Island is likely a dung beetle but of an unknown genus (to me). The second, from my region as well, has proven to be even more challenging to ID. I am not even certain of it’s family and I hesitate to call it a scarab even though it exhibits several anatomical features which resemble those of such a beetle. (See attached photos for both.) On a final note, might I request the urls of the best sites in your opinion that may aid me in my quests for further insect identification? This may save me from troubling you with more ID requests in the future. Thanks again,
Sandy.

Rugose Stag BeetleBolboceras obesas

Dear Sandy,
We always love turning to a real beetle expert, Eric Eaton, with difficult identifications. Here is what he has to say: “Well, as luck would have it, I grew up in the Pacific Northwest, and both these species are familiar to me. Both are males. Females do not have horns. The top [first] image in your e-mail to me is of a rugose stag beetle, Sinodendron rugosum. They are usually found in rotting logs. The second image is of an earth-boring scarab (family Geotrupidae). The species is Bolboceras obesus. Females dig burrows terminating in cells which they provision with fine humus, which serves as food for their offspring (grubs). Neat insects. I’ve never seen one alive, but they are supposedly common. Thank you for sharing.”
Regarding our favorite websites, we recommend Angel Fire and for caterpillars, we like Caterpillars of the Eastern Forests.

2 Responses to Rugose Stag Beetle and Earth Boring Scarab

1. Howdy! Would you mind if I share your blog with my facebook group?
    There’s a lot of folks that I think would really appreciate your content. Please let me know. Thanks