What is this caterpillar?
I emailed earlier this month and not long after your site went down for a while so I don’t know if it went through. We found the caterpillar wandering on the ground and although he resembles the Heterocampa that someone sent from MO, ours is quite a shocking shade of hot pink. We are in Hempstead, TX. in the middle of the Post Oak belt. The caterpillar has formed a chrysalis and we will wait and see if it transforms. But I would really like to know what we are looking for.
Thanks in advance,
Joy Sebastian-Hall

Hi Joy,
Yes, you have a caterpillar from the genus Heterocampa. Somewhere I remember reading that they change color just before pupating. There is much color variation in the green, brown and pink range. The moths are a grey color.

One Response to Saddleback Heterocampa

1. Pam says:

I found two tiny pink caterpillars in our bed… yulk!!!
    but now i’m reading they could be some sort of cotton moth? we do have cotton sheets! …but also i read that some can turn pink before pubation.
    We live in Alicante Spain for 20 years and i have never seen this before.