Help please
After the last hard rain 10 days ago, these bugs have been coming out every night, they look black, are about 1/4 inch long and jump around from out of the grass onto my porch. They seem to be attracted to light, because each morning I find hundreds of their little dead copper colored bodies all over my front and back porch. In the 2 years I’ve lived here, I’ve never seen them before. What are they?
Thanks very much from San Dimas, CA
Janet Boydell

Hi Janet,
You are being plagued by Lawn Shrimp, a colorful name for a type of terrestrial Amphipod. Terrestrial amphipods live on the surface (top 1/2 inch) of mulch and moist ground. After rains, large numbers of amphipods can migrate into garages or under the doors of houses. There they soon die their color changing from brown, green or black to red upon death. They migrate out of rain-soaked soil to drier areas where they usually end up dying. Most species are active at night. Here is a site with additional information.

Thank you very much!
Hi and thanks so much for getting back to me. By the way, your website is wonderful…my son thinks it’s so cool that you posted our question and then answered us. Very helpful and useful! I’ll pass it on.
Best to you,
Janet

6 Responses to Lawn Shrimp

1. Geoff says:

Looks like I got these buggers here in South Jersey.

I had one crawling up the inside of my pant leg last week and now I’m counting about a dozen dead ones on the dining room floor this morning.

2. Malana says:

Can lawn shrimp live and survive inside a human body? I can’t seem to find any information
    on this.

3. Cuttlepluff says:

Hi, I just discovered one shrimping around inside my tank! I bought some plants from Pets Warehouse weeks back and thought I’d seen movement in the grasses they’d sold me. At first, I thought it was some hideous predator that would hunt my fish in the night and kill off my shrimp, but I’m happy to learn that it’ll be a little helper for as long as it lives among the plants, as well as any others I may have mistaken as the same critter.

Actually quite a shy, graceful swimmer and not only a “slow” climber like some websites state.

4. Rachel says:

My boyfriend’s parents just found a mass of these lying dead on their living room floor. The room is in the front of the house, surrounded by patio/lawn areas on two sides. We had VERY slight rain the night before last, and that came after a solid month of uncomfortable warm temperatures. What gives? Why now? His folks have been in that house for 20 years, and this is the first time they’ve seen anything like this. I am not necessarily fearful of insects like these, but I am utterly REPULSED…yet can’t look away. Like, I’m nauseous & itchy all over, but fascinated. If they swept them all up, will they come back? Do they lay eggs in carpet? Would love any guidance you have! I’ve told my boyfriend I refuse to go have dinner there until I get some answers, LOL… 😂😂😂

5. SMC says:

Ugh! I get them on my front porch and screened in back porch the last few years! I live in Myrtle Beach, SC. We have had a lot of rain lately so it makes sense I have seen so many lately!

6. Heidi L. Jaworski says:

I’ve just seen these in my carport for the first time in 15 years, here on the Big Island of Hawaii….after months of daily rain, which is very unusual for this part of the island.