Pantry Beetles?
I have been finding these around the house occasionally. But today I found 5 in one unopened package and one in another unopened package of saltine crackers. There were some very tiny cracks at the corner of the packages where crackers contacted though much smaller than these bugs. Can you tell me what they are and if they could have came in the packages or if they may have entered through the tiny cracks. They range in size from less than 1/8″ to almost 1/4″.
Thanks Merle

Yes Merle, you have pantry beetles. It is possible to buy pre-infested food at the market, which is a good reason to check the expiration date. They will quickly spread to other stored foods in your pantry.

Update:  July 20, 2019
We just received a comment for the scientific name of this larva.  It appears to be a Varied Carpet Beetle larva, Anthrenus verbasci, which is pictured on BugGuide.

3 Responses to Varied Carpet Beetle larva

1. Margaret says:

What is the Latin name for this insect? The pantry beetle. I am having a hard time finding it online.

2. Margaret says: