Is this a Tarantula Hawk
I have seen this Giant wasp ouside my house (In Southern Orange County) a few times now. I need to know if it is a danger to my 2 year old son as he loves to play out on our patio. I took a picture of the statue with a C sized battery so you can get an accurate size description as I tend to over exaggerate things a bit.

It sure does look like a Tarantula Hawk, but the photo is too far away to be certain. Tarantula Hawks have black bodies and reddish-orange wings. Females are not aggressive, but will sting painfully if provoked.

4 Responses to Tarantula Hawk

1. Victor says:

I have seen very large examples of these wasps here in California up to “4 inch wing spans” with body length of about “2 1/2inches” however at state line Nevada My son and I saw one at more that a “10 inch wing span” with the tail dropped down in flight about the size of my index finger up to the second knuckle. It was flying about fifty feet in the air and moving very fast. I guess that was a once in a lifetime sight.
    When people tell you about large wasp> I can tell you ain’t seen nothing yet, without any doubt.

We have seen very large Tarantula Hawks in San Felipe in Baja California, Mexico. They were the size of sparrows.

2. Victor says:

3. LYNND says:

Just spotted one of these near my home at 3400 feet in Northwest Los Angeles County in the Antelope Valley region. I have yet to see a tarantula but I have to assume they are nearby given that this wasp was present.

It flies like a dragonfly but moves in that jittery wasp-like fashion. The one I saw had neon-red/orange wings.

I have read other comments elsewhere on this site about Tarantula Hawks and curious children as young as four trying to check it out! People, it moves like a wasp — it IS a wasp — and per Wikipedia the stinger is 7mm long, which would make it bigger than a 1 carat diamond (a 1 carat diamond ranges from ~6-6.5mm). All of which means you should keep a SAFE DISTANCE from this wasp.