Is this a Tarantula Hawk
I have seen this Giant wasp ouside my house (In Southern Orange County) a few times now. I need to know if it is a danger to my 2 year old son as he loves to play out on our patio. I took a picture of the statue with a C sized battery so you can get an accurate size description as I tend to over exaggerate things a bit.

It sure does look like a Tarantula Hawk, but the photo is too far away to be certain. Tarantula Hawks have black bodies and reddish-orange wings. Females are not aggressive, but will sting painfully if provoked.

2 Responses to Tarantula Hawk

1. Victor says:

I have seen very large examples of these wasps here in California up to “4 inch wing spans” with body length of about “2 1/2inches” however at state line Nevada My son and I saw one at more that a “10 inch wing span” with the tail dropped down in flight about the size of my index finger up to the second knuckle. It was flying about fifty feet in the air and moving very fast. I guess that was a once in a lifetime sight.
    When people tell you about large wasp> I can tell you ain’t seen nothing yet, without any doubt.

We have seen very large Tarantula Hawks in San Felipe in Baja California, Mexico. They were the size of sparrows.