Hi
Can you help with this giant spider we found at a friends house, In northern Ontario. The spider was at least 4 inches from leg tip to tip. I have seen a similar looking spider on your site called a fishing spider. Could this also be one?
T Lacombe

Hi T.,
We believe you are correct in the Fishing Spider theory. Looks like Dolomedes tenebrosus, one of the largest members of the genus. They can be identified by the well-marked black chevrons on the posterior half of the abdomen, with a light brown spot at each end of each chevron. Your photo shows these marking quite well.

3 Responses to Fishing Spider

1. Nick says:

Hi there,
    Saw this one in my sister’s back yard in Lancaster County, PA. I think it might be a Fishing Spider, but it seems to have lighter coloration than most pictures that I’ve seen.
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/200171_10200389279553017_7717627_n.jpg