black caterpillar with a red horn
We saw this caterpillar along side the road in British Columbia. I went through most of the sites that you’ve linked to on your page, but I think this guy’s out of range for those sites.
Any ideas?
Lea Ann
p.s., I also included a pretty clear picture of what I think is a Common Clear-Wing Moth… (Taken in Mayo, Yukon)

Hi Lea Ann,
WE have been trying unsuccessfully to properly identify your unknown black sphinx caterpillar with the red horn. We will continue to try. Your Hummingbird Clearwing Moth is a welcome addition to our site as well.

(01/01/2005) Ed. Note: We have just identified the black sphinx caterpillar thanks to this site run by Bill Oehlke. It is Hyles gallii, the Bedstraw Hawk Moth or Gallium Sphinx (wingspan approx. 75 mm). Hyles gallii ranges coast to coast in Canada and southward along the Rocky Mountains into Mexico. It is also widely distributed throughout Europe and Asia.

Location: Canada