What is this?
I am trying to figure out what kind bug this is. Its about 2 inches long. The picture I sent you earlier. It closely resembles the Potato Ant as I was matching up pictures on your site. This thing frightened me because of its sheer size and pretty big choppers that looks like it could do some damage. It was in my garage and I spent 30 minutes trying to capture it since I didn’t want this thing in there and had no idea if it was a threat. After putting a tape measure to it, it was nearly 2 inches long from head to backside. I took the picture after capturing it and I am probably going to release it in the bushes away from my house. Another thing, at one point I saw it back side lifted and vibrate rapidly like a rattle snake. It was great and scary at the same time since I had no idea what it was doing or going to do. What a great site you have!
Thanks, Joe from Buellton, California

Hi Joe,
One common name for your insect is a Potato Bug, also known as a Jerusalem Cricket. They live underground. The scientific genus is Stenopelmatus. They are not poisonous but have strong jaws that can pinch.