Blue wasp?
or blue hornet? sort of powder blue, almost sky blue.
Nice site. Very cool indeed.
TL (So. Cal.)

Hi TL,
Nice photo of a Sand Wasp, Bembix species. It is a new species for our site. According to Hogue they are: “Also known as Digger Wasps, these insects are recognizable by their stout shape and greenish-white or bluish-white abdominal markings. … Sand Wasps are characteristic inhabitants of dry sandy areas such as beach bluffs and mesas, sand dunes, and arroyos. … The nests are shallow tubes running obliquely into the soil; each contains a single larva, which the female keeps supplied with a diet of fresh flies and other insects. In practicing this form of continuous provisioning of the larvae, sand wasps differ from spider wasps, mud daubers, and many other digging wasps, which provide only a single cache of food that must last throughout the larva’s development. Sand Wasps are not social insects, as are hornets and yellow jackets; yet, as a result of the tendency of individuals to nest in the same area, a type of colony develops.” The Western Sand Wasp, Bembix comata, is a common species.

8 Responses to Sand Wasp

1. Tammy says:

Thank you guys for this information.. although I think this baby can be aggressive it’s made me move two times on my front porch …? I was shocked to see such a thing never in my life have I seen such a bright white and yes it’s very neon colorful . It does want me to move so I moved because of the fear if it will sting so now I know it will and not to swat at it ., I usually get my bug!! . lLOL feeling lucky in Kentucky
    TBradshaw in Ky

2. Lisa says:

We have LOTS of sand wasps in our horse-riding arena. I was happy to learn that they eat flies! I am concerned that although they’re reluctant to sting, they will, because when we ride our horses, we’re destroying their nests. If they sting a horse with a rider on it, the horse’s reaction could be dangerous.
    My question is if we keep a sprinkler going on the arena for a week, they could return when the sand is dry again, correct? Or, is there a season for them making nests? I am located in Tulare, California

3. Michelle Berrett-Muir says:

Hey-
    My wife was moving some paving stones yesterday and freaked out when she saw a green eyed bug. She and our daughter thought for sure it would kill us if stung. Funny how that fear works when you see a bug that is so different. To my question, are the green eyed sand wasps a common thing to see in Utah? This is where we’re found our first.

4. Alvin says:

When I was a child I lived in Yorba Linda California & they were always digging up the San box at our school- daily 15- 30 digging kicking up sand, I loved watching them.I was terrified of bee’s too “But not these type”. I always thought they were the nice bee’s or(good guys). They would land and dig all around me while I dug up fire ant nest. I guessing they wanted the larva from the ants ?.
    They were always helping me dig truly fascinating to watch nature do it’s thing right next to me I was never stung by these gentle sand wasp- They were so cool ?

5. Scootty83 says:

I have seen these my whole life growing up in Utah. I have just discovered a couple dozen or so burrowing in my kids’ sand box. We live around the Riverton/Herriman/South Jordan area of the Salt Lake Valley. Happy to find out that they are non-aggressive and eat flies!

6. Nicole says:

I walked right over a colony of these wasps.. they were hovering above their singleness in the sand. I didn’t know I was walking over a colony.. and tell my husband said watch out for these bees! I thought they were a large number of flies hovering over the ground. I walked back over to see neon colored wasps. They were definitely not aggressive and were hanging out over there ground nests.this was located in the sand on an island in the middle of the Willamette River next to Portland, OR. I plan on kayaking back over there and just sitting next to the bees!

Thank you so much for providing first hand information on the lack of aggression displayed by most solitary wasps.

7. Sue Gaynor says:

I live in Northern Az, this guy just fly right into me. Scared the bajesus out of me, not only because it was a wasp, but the alien look?