What’s This?
I found this on the patio this morning. A little more info. I found this on the patio this morning. I am in eastern Washington state. It is about an inch long and could move by crawling fairly quickly. It didn’t fly.
Thanks, John

Hi John,
The Locust Borer, Megacyllene robiniae, one of the Long Horned Borer Beetles from the Family Cerambycidae, is capable of flight. The adult Locust Borer is often found on goldenrod where it eats pollen and nectar. The larvae bore in the wood of Black Locust trees after eating the bark. Thank you for your photo. We like getting good images of signature insects. The Locust Borer ranges throughout the Eastern and Southern U.S. and eastern Canada.

2 Responses to Locust Borer

1. john hancock says:

Does the locust borer only eat locust, I stumbled across a couple in North Texas yesterday after we cleared out a bunch of mesquites. To my knowledge there are not any black locusts anywhere around here.