Ctenuchine Tiger Moth?
Dear Bug Man…
Just discovered your site. Cool! Unfortunately, I’ve just spent the last hour cruising your pages when I should be in bed! Anyway, perhaps you can help identify a moth my 12-year-old-budding-entomologist son caught on a cruise ship just outside Cancun Mexico last October… We’ve been told it is a Ctenuchine Tiger Moth, but the entomologist who told us that did not provide the genus and species. Could you please help with the taxonomy? He’s taking the moth to the Missouri State Fair this week… and I’ll bet he’s the only 4-Her to have one at the fair this year!
Thank you so much…
Scott, St. James, MO
ps I’ll have to come back and cruise your site some more with my son… when its not midnight! SA

Hi Scott,
We believe your moth is most likely from the genus Cosmosoma, Family Syntomidae or Ctenuchidae. According to Holland, these are sometimes called Clearwing Wasp Moths. Ctenucha generally have brown or black wings. Sorry we can’t give you an exact species. We only have one member of the genus Cosmosoma stateside. That is the Scarlet Bodied Wasp Moth, Cosmosoma auge. We have a photo on our Moth Page. This is a large genus well represented in Central and South America. Hope that helps.