One Response to Polyphemus Moth Caterpillar

1. Kerry Guerin says:

Ha!! Do NOT be fooled. He has all sorts of pretty masks, but only rarely will he show his actual, gruesome face. This insect has the most terrifying, hideous countenance you can imagine, tucked tightly away under that smooth round foreskin at the front of his body, and no doubt those cute eyes and smiles painted all over in a morph are the adaptations permitting survival. It’s the stuff of nightmares. Literally. I saw it once, and can’t hold them without an intense shudder of fear flashing quickly through my body, complete with the instinct to remove the little horror from the gene pool.

Looks like cotton candy. Tastes like poison.

Oh.

These little fu…. err, uh… buggers are the psychopaths of the insect world. I kid you not. Don’t mess with them. Unless you have lizards. Then they’re the best food you’ll ever find,

IF

AMD ONLY if they haven’t been eating their natural diet. You know, nightshades. Cause then they turn into little axe murderers instead of one of the best superfoods you’ll ever find.