Large yellow beetle
Bug Man,
My four year old son found this bug while camping… he quickly became attached to it and played with it for most of the morning! (a budding entomologist??); unfortunately the close up photo did not come out very clear. It was approx 1 inch long, bright yellow and unlike anything I’ve seen around here (central Saskatchewan , Canada ). The bottom was furry, much like the “Watermelon Bug” on your beetle page – though not striped. It had large legs that it used to help right itself when flipped on its back. Quite entertaining for the crowd of kids it attracted. A lady on the beach thought it was a “Japanese Dung Beetle” which she claimed to have encountered while farming cotton in the southern US – I’ve looked up pictures and this does not seem to be the case. Assistance with identification appreciated.
Guy

Hi Guy,
Identification is difficult because of the blurriness of the image. We sharpened it as much as possible, and believe it is a member of the genus Cotalpa. Here is a link with some good beetle photos, including Cotalpa lanigera and Cotalpa consobrina.