Egg-sack thing with worm
I live in Sherman Oaks, a suburb of Los Angeles. I’ve been noticing at least one of these egg-sack things appear in and around my house lately, usually attached to a wall a few feet up from the floor. They are medium brown in color, look and feel like small scrap of paper, and are about one centimeter long. Do you know what is hatching out of it? The little worm keeps poking in and out of a hole at both ends of its “home.”
Thank you, – Shel

Hi Shel,
You have Case-Bearing Moth larvae Phereoeca fallax. Here is some information issued by the County of Los Angeles Agricultural Commissioner/Weights and Measures Department: Entomology Laboratory Services: "Case-bearing Moth Larva (Phereoeca fallax) this is a common species in the Los Angeles basin, specially along coastal areas. The small larvae carry a noticeable case made of fine sand and debris. The case, which is about a quarter to half an inch long, is flattened on top and bottom, expanded at its center and tapered at both ends. They are often found on walls (both outside and inside) of houses and other structures. Larvae are said to feed primarily on insect remains, fur, flannel, and hair: they do not seem to be a clothes pest. Thorough vacuuming should help control their numbers. The adult moths are very small and are rarely seen."

6 Responses to Case Bearing Moth Larva

1. louisa rowell says:

Hi I have a fantastic picture I took today of my threadbare carpet which is fairly new with probably a couple of hundred case bearing moths that have eaten away under a wicker storage basket
    how can I send you a pic, my pic needs to be on google images to help others !
    thanks

2. Audrey Ham says:

Thank you – that was most helpful. At least I know what to look for now.

Audrey Ham

3. Karen Lee says:

Please advise how harmful and how to totally exterminate them. The case bearing moth larva. Found in the bedroom on the mattress.

4. Keith says:

As of May 1, 2017
    I have the exact EXACT problem.
    But on other note of my discovering this awful moth infestation to this one room one bath place i live (for quite a long time) the mirro i hadn’t moved off the wall for … years maybe. That’s where moth nests attached to the wall and the mirror! I had to pry and scrape off wall. Ok, but before that and to this day i have something else that i found out at least i think it is, but i saved a black flying bug that while cleaning up all this crap tried ot go into my eye! And i put in a baggie or one of those jewelery that my elec. came in with zipper on it. Ok well today one of those bit my ear and it swelled up it looks red and i grabbed it. I just sat down after boarding train to go to work, i had to take my hand and pry it off my ear! It fell apart and hit the floor i couldn’t even see it after that! I had just before leaving home this morning, used ear and nose trimmer to cut back hair out of ears and nose (obviously) and every day i wake up and i’m sure those things are on my face because the same looking lines run down my eyes as if it’s part of one of those legs of that flying creature. I use tea tree oil on my toenail fungus that is horrific! To say the least. And it goes on and on and i’m just now reading about mold yeast and all the like and now it’s hard to go to sleep of course. Last night same drag on and the larvae i douse with spray bottle of 70% rubbing alochol mix and it’s an all the time now deal. It’s like it’s invisible and then it’s there. I’m afraid now to eat in here to sleep in here and it’s hard to just “move.”

5. I vacummed up a whole mess of worms in lint sacks
    Think they are eating my carpet. Do they

6. Melissa says:

Is this bug harmful???
    How to get rid of them..?