Not a nice bug
This morning (8/3/04) I had an ugly encounter with this bug. It bit me on the back of the neck. I think it might be an assassin bug because it resembles the pictures of the other assassin bugs on your site. However, the colors on it are very bright yellows and neon greens on black. The first set of legs are thick and curved; the rest are thin and straight. It has the mouth parts of an assassin. Its bite felt like a BAD bee sting. I thought that I would share and see if you could confirm what it is. I have it displayed on the bulletin board for my fifth grade class and I would love to be able to tell them with certainty what it is.
Thank You,
Meredith Barthel

Hi Meredith,
You have an Ambush Bug, Family Phymatidae. These are True Bugs and closely related to Assasin Bugs, hence the similarity in appearance. According to Borror and Delong: “The Phymatids are small stout-bodied bugs with raptorial front legs. … Most of the Ambush Bugs are about 1/2 inch in length or less, yet they are able to capture insects as large as fair-sized bumble bees. they lie in wait for their prey on flowers, particularly goldenrod, where they are excellently concealed by their greenish yellow color. They feed principally on relatively large bees, wasps, and flies.” They do have venom, hence the pain in your bite. As you know, their bite is painful, but not dangerous. I believe your species is Phymata erosa.