To Whom it May Concern,
I killed two of these monsters this weekend. I have never seen a totally black, wasp like creature before. It dive bombed me and took an inordinate amount of wasp spray to kill. Can you please tell me what this is? I live in mid Michigan.
Chris McHugh

Hi Chris,
You killed Sphex pennsylvanica, the Great Black Wasp. They are hunters of katydids, and they nest singly in burrows in the soil, not in mud nests. They are very non-aggressive.

6 Responses to Great Black Wasp

1. Sarah Cecilie says:

I looked up the black wasps because we have a lot of them around our boat (on land in our yard). They stay in that area and don’t bother us at all.
    I was wondering why all of a sudden we see them this year, and do they sting?
    Not wanting to get rud if them if they’re harmless.

2. Susan says:

I live in south central Louisiana. This flying insect burrowed a hole the size of a quarter, overnight… The dirt removed from underground can fill a 10# bag of flour.. The bug appears to be solid black, and a little larger than the size of a carpenter beep. Can you identify this bug for me?
    Thank you.
    Susan

3. Karen says:

We had a lot of these black wasps show up last summer. And just yesterday my grandson got stung 3 times (2 on stomach 1 on hand) after sliding on his stomach down the slide. While I appreciate their beauty I can not have them around. My granddaughter is highly allergic to bee and wasp stings and as we found out yesterday so is my grandson.
    So they have to go. My question is how do you find the nest? What does it look like from topside? We thought about putting granular sulphur out in the yard. To keep their “food” away. Will this work? Any suggestions?

4. Tia Whitehead says:

I have (I think) the Black Wasps in my house! I don’t want them in my house… We have pets and don’t want to spray and we can’t find where they’re coming from.

Help?

5. Tia Whitehead says:

Help?