BugMan,
I am hoping you can help me identify this bug. I have had several of them flying in my house and one has stung me (At least I think it was one like this, got me on the back of the neck, and since I did not see it and this is the only flying bug I have seen in my house I have given it the blame.) I know this is a picture of a dead bug and I really strive not to kill bugs but it was flying around in my daughters room and she would not calm down (4 years old would not stop crying) until it was dead and she could see it. So needless to say I was forced to kill it so I could sleep (Does this make me a bad person?). I live in Essex, MD, it was about an inch and a half long, 6 legs, long slender tail, big bug eyes, and 2 small antenna on its head (1mm maybe 2mm), one set of wings that were tan from top to bottom with only supports throughout no other coloring, and a small roundish buldge on the top of its back above the wings with stripes of brown and black. I am attaching 3 pictures to see if you can help identify it. Thanks for all your help.
Sincerely,
Matthew Rebbert

Hi Matthew,
Your insect is a Robber Fly, Family Asilidae. The adults are predatory, and are important in the control of many insect pests including Grasshoppers. The Robber Fly will attack insects much larger than itself. They are capable of inflicting a painful bite if carelessly handled, but they do not normally bite people. Robber Flies often find their way into homes. We would recommend trapping it in a glass when it alights on the window, and then releasing it. Show your daughter that the fly was taken outside so it could kill other bugs. Eric Eaton adds “Your specimen of Robber fly (reddish-yellow with black stripes) are Diogmites sp., the Hanging Thieves,” named for the way they suspend themselves from one pair of legs while feeding on a prey item.”