Pointed head bug
Dear bugman,
Perhaps you can identify this bug picture I sketched. I cannot find a close match anywhere to say that I am sure what it is. It is a 6 legged bug VERY tiny, about 1/10". I can tell you that not only did they show up in my kitchen, but there were literally millions in a bag of birdseed! There were so many that you could hear the bag rustling. Gross! I looked in the bag to see millions of these creatures with their pointed heads and antennae. I hope you could steer me as to what these bugs are.
Tom Bartman
Pottstown, PA

Hi Tom,
Weevils are one type of Pantry Beetle whose shape matches your description and drawing. Weevils are a type of beetle belonging to the family Curculionidae. Grain Weevils belong to the genus Sitophilus and have the head elongated into a snout.

One Response to Grain Weevils

1. Kyle says:

I have a corn burning stove to heat my house for the winter. I keep the corn in my basement in bags with a dehumidifier on them. I just noticed all the bags are filled with the grain weevil that I found on your web site. I Don’t want to lose all the money I put into the ton of corn I have stored. Do you know of any kind of spray I can use to kill them. Thank you,
    Kyle