toe-biter or stag beetle… I’m guessing
This stag beetle or toe biter (or whatever it is) was found in our dog’s water dish on our back porch. I “scooped” it out with the glass jar that you see. (I didn’t want it to die, but I also didn’t want to let it go until I could find out what it is.) The photos of the beetles were taken today (July 8, 2004) near Chattanooga, Tennessee. (I sent two photos hoping that my hand holding the jar would provide some perspective. I thought the photo without my hand perhaps had a better angle.) Hope these photos are helpful to someone seeking more information. Thanks for your help… despite the barrage of inquiries you receive. I’m glad to know there’s a place that can help “name” the many insect-type “critters” out there!
Sincerely,
Anita

Hi Anita,
Your beetle, which you undoubtedly saved from sure drowning, is a Stag Beetle, probably a Pseudolucanus species.

Location: Tennessee