from Michigan
(08/03/2004)
I found this bug and it is orange with really light yellow or cream colored squares
William

Sorry,
too vague a description.

hi me again i just took pics of it so if you know what kind of bug it is can you please tell us we just don’t know

Hi William,
Thanks for sending a beautiful photo of an Ermine Moth, either Atteva aurea or Atteva gemmata. The caterpillars eat ailanthus leaves. They are reportedly from the south, but we just received a letter from a reader who sited some in Long Island New York. Here is the letter:

(08/03/2004) A. aurea or A. gemmata
i will get a picture the next time i find one but you can extend their range to Long Island, NY….they are around my screen door in the morning and i was using your site to find out what they were as i had never seen anything like them (big thank you). i’ve given a few female dobson flies to my Jackson’s chameleon….before i found your site i would run from them, now i go hunting for them…thanks
Danny D

One Response to Ermine Moth

1. Cindy says:

Just found one of these in the house….in Somerdale, NJ