It was so good to find your website with answers to what this little creature is. I couldn’t open up all the pictures of the spinx moths you featured but it gave me a good idea that it is indeed what I saw. Like others, I first thought this was a hummingbird because of its long tube that was sucking nectar and fast little wings. But, it looked more like a bumblebee and was only one inch in size. I live in NJ and saw this in June. Any chance you can confirm for me that this is a spinx moth?
Thanks. Linda G

Hi Linda,
It looks to me like a Nessus Sphinx, Amphion nessus. The indicating features are the small head, and plump body. Also the two white stripes on the abdomen and the tuft at the tip. According to Holland: “It ranges from Canada to Georgia and westward to Wyoming. It flies in the daytime on cloudy days and in the late afternoon before sunset. The caterpillar feeds on Ampelopsis and the wild grape.”