Please help me identify this bug.
I live in Salisbury, Maryland and found this bug in my house. I assume it’s a beetle, but am concerned it could be a roach. Just wanted to ease my mind. Thanks for your help.

Hi Deb,
Many of the Ground Beetles, Carabidae, are black with red legs. I can’t identify your exact species, but I can tell you that they are predaceous, and will kill other unwanted pests around the home and garden.

11 Responses to Ground Beetle unidentified species

1. mardikavana says:

This is subtribe Harpalina. Possibly genus Harpalus. It is impossible to identify the species without the specimen itself.

2. Linda Oneill says:

I have a similar insect like the ground beetle, I live in Chase that located in Baltimore County. Does the ground beetle emit a very nasty smell when you kill it? The one here smells awful like the mud deep down in the swamp.

3. Tiffany says:

I will admit that I have killed at least 30 of these beetles in the past few days. They are in my apartment and are EVERYWHERE on the floor! They seem to like dark, damp places the best. I came home today to find SEVEN under ONE towel in my bathroom! I would like to know how to get them out without buying chemical-based products. Please help. They are driving me crazy.

We do not provide extermination advice.

• Tiffany says:

Which is why I asked u for help. I thought maybe u would have some alternative removal methods. But, since u have given me no ideas, I am forced to.kill them I suppose. I cannot come home to 20 of these things everyday. Raid, here I come. Thx for nada bug guys.

You are most cordially welcome.

• Tiffany says:

Ahhhh…The exterminator came today. It sure feels good to finally be getting rid of these beetles. Too bad I had no one to provide an alternate solution to my problem. What a shame. Just kidding. But, you guys could offer a bit more advice than you do.

You are correct Tiffany, but it is impossible for us to respond to every request we receive because our editorial staff does have to clock in to real gainful employment. What’s That Bug? has always been a free source of information to the public and our mission is to educate people about the importance of insects and other bugs in the interconnected web of life on our planet. It is much easier to inform people which insects are beneficial and which are potentially harmful. Ground Beetles are a beneficial family of insects as they are predators and since they lack venom, they are not harmful to people. We understand that when they are plentiful, they are a nuisance, but we stand by our position not to provide extermination advice.

4. Brittany Emmerson says:

Can these bugs bite? If so does it look like a blister?