I found this thing in my hair the day after a hike in southern California. Admittedly, it could have just as easily been from my backyard. What is it?
Darcy Wronkiewicz

Hi Darcy,
Hikers in California often pick up ticks. Sorry, I don’t know the species. Luckily you found it before it bit you.

2 Responses to Tick

1. Daniel says:

Don’t want to create a panic but it should be said that those carry two bad diseases, Lyme disease, and Rocky Mountaiin Spotted Fever. If that tick bit you enough to draw blood see a doctor for either disease.
    Any time you hike in wooded areas check your entire body for these bugs after the hike.

2. Cathy Schabloski says:

Having had myself, relatives and dogs bitten by ticks, and some of them having been diagnosed with lyme or suspected of having some one of the many tick bourne diseases, I would like to share this website with you for tick i.d.. You can submit your photo to them.
    https://tickencounter.org/tick_identification
    Dogs get stuff just as easily as people. Depending on the immune system, any symptoms can take a week or 6 months or more to show. Disconcerting to know the ba#&%&d@ can be active in winter! You’re the 2nd one I’ve heard of this year. Take care.