I found this inchworm on my clematis flower. It is red in color. I can’t seem to find a “red” inchworm on the internet. Someone told me it is an inchworm because it has legs in the front and legs in the back, not in the middle, and it moves by moving its center up … like an inchworm. But is red or maybe dark pink in color. I have a picture but it is blurry. The first pic is on the flower. The second pic I took it off and put it on a napkin. It is very tiny so hard to take a pic with my camera.
Claire

Hi Claire,
Inchworms are the caterpillars of Geometrid Moths. Sorry, I don’t know of a pink or red caterpillar, but there is often little information on caterpillars. I will continue to check and possibly get back to you.

2 Responses to Red Inchworm??

1. Jami says:

Maybe its an albino. Probably wont live long in the wild because without camouflage it will be easily picked off. Just a thought. Not sure if bugs or insects can be albino, but if animals can I don’t see why bugs or insects can’t.

2. Kim says:

I found a very tiny dark pink inchworm yesterday..which is how I found this page. I also found the typical bright green AND a very dark purple-almost brown. All were tiny inchworms. I mean about the width of my pinky fingernail-about half an inch fully stretched. I am trying to find out why so many and do they camoflauge? Or are they all different species? I find that doubtful.