Big and Beautiful.
Hiya bugman!
I found this beetle in my garage this evening. We live in Mesa, Arizona. The pic of it with the ruler came out fuzzy, but it’s a little under 3 inches long. That’s about as close as we were willing to get as it has pretty large mandibles. I scooched it along a little to see how it moves, and I think it was asleep because it jolted like I had startled it. It moves slowly and seems feisty, but then it’s easy to get grumpy in this 105 degree heat when all you want is to take a little siesta. I’ve been to about 10 different beetle websites and can’t find it. Can you help? I love your website!!
Sherri

We stand corrected.
Correction
I was just going through the identifications and noticed that someone made an error on an identification: Sheri (Mesa, Arizona) sent in an image of a large long-horn beetle. It was identified as a California Prionus. It is not a California Prionus, but a different long-horn beetle. It is of the genus Derobrachus, and is probably the species geminatus.
Bob Jensen
Entomologist
website:

Update: This just arrived on (08/08/2005)
identifications Hello – I was recently shown your site, and it is excellent. My specialization is longhorned beetles, and in cruising around I notice a number of incomplete or uncertain IDs for this family. I don’t know if you are interested in receiving this sort of input, but if you are, I offer the following additions to your identifications.
The species pictured is what presently is called Derobrachus geminatus, as you speculated– however, for the record, that name has been misapplied, and in fact, the species shown in the photo soon will be given another name.Cheers
Frank Hovore (Prionus) species.

Update: Palo Verde Root Borer
(08/18/2007)
I just wanted to let you know that the beetle on your page 2, Some one gave the correct on the family name, but didn’t give a name on what they are called. I live in Tucson Az. & to my knowledge are mainly known here in the SW They are called “Palo Verde” beetles, because the female will lay their eggs in soil surrounding the Palo Verde trees, which will hatch & live underground for 3 years, feeding on the roots of the trees. They are usually seen in the summer & fly in the early evenings, they are attracted to light, which is why we always find them by our front porch where the light had been on! I couldn’t find anything on your page under that name, so I hope you find this helpful. They are the biggest bug I’ll ever want to see with pinchers! I’ve enclosed a couple pictures.Thanks,
Wendy Warunkiewicz