This bug was found in Oklahoma…..can you tell me what it is?
Judy Campbell

Hi Judy,
You have Cottonwood Borers, Plectrodera scalator. They are beetles from the long-horned beetle family Cerambycidae. These are very large black and white beetles. We have several photos on our beetle page from last year. Adults are common around cottonwood and poplar trees and the grubs bore into the wood of those trees.

6 Responses to Cottonwood Borers

1. Katy says:

I just now found that bug. Thank you for the info!

2. Megan says:

Thanks found that yesterday and had no idea what it was

3. Mary Thomas says:

Yes!! Just found this beetle hanging out on our back porch yesterday. Contacted AG department and collected specimen.

You didn’t mention your location, but the Cottonwood Borer is a native insect to the center of the country, with most of our sightings coming from Texas and Oklahoma. We don’t believe the agricultural department will have concerns regarding a native species.

4. Kendra says:

I found one in front of my door in northern Oklahoma. Blackwell,ok to be exact Is it a harmful beetle does it bite or sting??