I have been looking for someone to help me find out what kind of bug we have, and how to possibly get rid of them (as in, what will eat them). For as long as I can remeber we have had these bugs in our yard, and never had a problem. Unfortounatly, they have multiplyed and an astounding rate this year, and whenever we walk out of the house, there is a small cloud of them that forms. They are harmless but annoying, and about 3/4 of an inch in length. When they fly, the top of the abdomen is a bright, blood red, and when crushed smell bad. If it is any help, we live in North-western Oregon.
please help!
Kasey

Hi Kasey,
The Western Box-Elder Bug, Boisea rubrulineata, can get very plentiful. It feeds on box-elder, ash, and maple. Occasionally large numbers will enter homes. We have never found a way for our readers to eliminate them.